Markets
Tuesday, September 29, 2026
The Company Chronicle

Stocks

Oura postpones its $2.2 billion IPO the day it was due to price; 73% of the shares were from existing holders

The smart ring maker cited IPO market uncertainty despite strong demand. Its filing shows the company itself was raising only about $533 million, so the delay mostly holds up an exit for existing holders.

Oura, the maker of the Oura Ring health tracker, has postponed its planned Nasdaq listing, citing uncertainty in the market for new issues, the company said in a statement reported by CNBC. The offering was set to price on Tuesday and had been about four times oversubscribed, Investing.com reported, citing Bloomberg. Oura had been marketing 50 million shares at $40 to $44 each, up to $2.2 billion, at a fully diluted valuation of about $15.62 billion.

"We aim to deliver an extraordinary IPO for our employees and investors and we have the luxury of choosing our moment," chief executive Tom Hale said. The company said it is profitable, now has 5.7 million paying members, and expects revenue to grow 90% in fiscal 2026.

Whose money is actually waiting

The headline figure is $2.2 billion, but most of that was never going to Oura. According to the company's amended S-1, Oura itself was selling 13.5 million shares and existing stockholders 36.5 million, or 73% of the deal. The selling holders also planned to give underwriters an option on 7.5 million more. Oura estimated its own net proceeds at about $532.6 million at the $42 midpoint, as we reported when the range was set.

That changes how to read the delay. A profitable company that needed roughly a quarter of the money in the deal can afford to wait, which is Hale's point. The people who wait longest are the early investors and employees who were cashing out. For them, a price at the bottom of the range, or below it, is a cost locked in for good, while a postponement is only a delay.

Oura did not say at what price the reported demand came in, and the four-times figure is Bloomberg's, not the company's. A book that is covered several times over can still be covered mostly at prices the sellers will not accept.

It is not the only one

Holtec Nuclear withdrew its IPO earlier this month, citing adverse market sentiment, and CVC-backed Bamboo Insurance Services has also pulled back, according to Investing.com. Holtec's own explanation named rising energy costs, trade tensions, military conflicts and inflation worries that have pushed central banks, including the Fed, to raise rates, per CNBC.

The rate backdrop is the clearest piece of that. The 2-year Treasury yield closed at 4.92% on Monday, as we reported in our market wrap. When a risk-free two-year note pays close to 5%, a growth stock has to offer a lot more to get priced at the top of its range.

Retail investors and what comes next

Oura's deal was also the first test of retail IPO access through brokerage apps. Coinbase launched its IPO program with Oura, as we covered last week, and Oura filed a Robinhood interview with Hale as offering material on September 24, according to EDGAR. Without a pricing, no shares were sold to anyone, and Oura has not given a new date.

The next test of the window is bigger. Investing.com described the IPO market as waiting on Anthropic's debut, and Blockchain.com is also in the queue. Whether those price inside their ranges will say more about demand for new stock than Oura's decision to wait.

Sources: CNBC; Investing.com via Yahoo Finance; Yahoo Finance; Oura filings on SEC EDGAR. This is market information, not investment advice.

Want your business to be the answer?

Get a full package of articles about your business, built so customers, Google and AI assistants can find you.

Get featured